This is the 200th edition (woohoo!) of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. You may be able to CLICK HERE TO LISTEN but note the shows are large files & this may not be the best way to listen. If you prefer, you can subscribe to the show via iTunes by sticking feeds2.feedburner.com/TheEpilepticGibbonPodcastMusicShow into the ‘Subscribe to podcast’ area & then you’ll get the new shows as they become available. The show is also available to stream via Mixcloud and the Progzilla Radio Network (the show is now appearing on Progzilla in alternate weeks). We take a short break from Eppy’s countdown of his favourite 30 albums of 2016 to celebrate the 200th episode of Eppy Gibbon. Eppy has teamed up with Rebsie & Daniel of Alchymical Muse to put together an A-Z special, to present you with 26 artists and bands that we think exemplify the spirit and styles of the show. As we move through the alphabet you’ll find an artist or band representing each of the 26 letters. There’s no feature album but the show offers a typically eclectic mixture of music, including a tribute to the late, great John Wetton. This should be a great show for long-term listeners but also a terrific ‘jumping on point’ for newcomers. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks from where you can find more information about each artist.
Don’t forget that we’re looking for listeners to pick their top five favourite bands/artists that we’ve played over the past 10 years (they can be established acts you already knew about or artists that you specifically discovered via the show) for a forthcoming 10th anniversary special. You can pick whoever you like, the only rule is that they must have been played on the show at least once in the past 10 years. You can post your choices as a comment to this post or via the Eppy Gibbon Podcast Show Facebook group. I’ll need your votes by early April, 2017.
Total running time: 2 hours & 11 minutes. Downloaded file is 119.4 MB.
2. Hello Mabel (2:46) – The Bonzo Dog Band (Taken from the album ‘The Doughnut in Granny’s Greenhouse’; see www.bonzodog.co.uk/)
3. Fiery Gun Hand (5:13) – Cardiacs (Taken from the album ‘Sing To God’; see www.cardiacs.net/)
4. Pol in G (3:02) – The Durutti Column (Taken from the album ‘Vini Reilly’; see www.thedurutticolumn.com/index.php)
5. Heart of the Sunrise (3:53) – Electric Würms (Taken from the album ‘Musik, die schwer zu Twerk’; see bellaunion.com/2014/06/electric-wurms-musik-die-schwer-zu-twerk/)
6. Far From Here (4:01) – Fovea Hex (Taken from the album ‘Here is Where We Used to Sing’; see www.janetrecords.com)
8. King Of The Fairies (3:30) – Horslips (Taken from the album ‘Dancehall Sweethearts’; see www.horslips.ie)
13. Quand j’étais chez mon père (3:45) – Malicorne (Taken from the album ‘Almanach’; see www.gabrielyacoub.com/)
20. The Garden Of Jane Delawney (4:06) – Trees (Taken from the album ‘The Garden Of Jane Delawney’; no website, but you can read about them on Wikipedia)
22. Offertory Song (5:28) – The Violet Hour (Taken from the album ‘The Fire Sermon’; see www.dorisbrendel.com/)
23. Neville Thumbcatch (4:27) – Peter Wyngarde (Taken from the album ‘When Sex Leers Its Inquisitive Head’; see www.cherryred.co.uk/product/when-sex-leers-its-inquisitive-head/ & www.peterwyngarde.me.uk/)
24. River Of Orchids (5:53) – XTC (Taken from the album ‘Apple Venus Volume 1’; see www.ape.uk.net)
25. Attic Doctor (3:52) – Youth Lagoon (Taken from the album ‘Wondrous Bughouse’; see fatpossum.com/artists/youth-lagoon/)
26. Winter Wind (5:07) – Zoar featuring Brendan Perry (Taken from the album ‘Clouds Without Water’; see www.zoar.com/)
Thanks to everyone involved with this show over the past 200 episodes, musicians and listeners alike. Send me comments if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!). If you want to keep up to date with news about the show, EppyFest, or just chat with other listeners, don’t forget that there’s a Facebook group – just search for the Eppy Gibbon Podcast Show on Facebook and request to join, plus don’t forget that we’re now part of the Progzilla Radio Network. For the next show Eppy returns to his 30 albums of 2016 countdown (for this second part he’ll be counting down the albums from 20 to 11) so we hope you’ll come back for that.
This is the 100th edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN. You can also listen via Mixcloud here. This is a special edition of the show celebrating six years and 100 episodes of the podcast. Daniel Staniforth, Rebsie Fairholm & myself have between us selected 26 tracks, with each track by an artist or band representing a letter of the alphabet and covering the usual wide range of styles and genres, with music from all over the world. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks to where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 2 hours. Downloaded file is 110.1 MB.
2. Oh England my lionheart (3:12) – Kate Bush (Taken from the album ‘Lionheart’; see www.katebush.com/)
12. Your Personal Infinity (4:44) – Leaving Richmond (Taken from the ‘The Bird and the Submarine’ EP; see leavingrichmond.tumblr.com/, soundcloud.com/leavingrichmond & www.facebook.com/leavingrichmond)
13. Thograinn Thograinn (3:34) – MacMaster/Hay (Taken from the album ‘Love And Reason’; see www.facebook.com/pages/MacmasterHay/158111410893459 & www.myspace.com/macmasterhay)
16. When London Shone (3:54) – Project Adorno (Taken from the album ‘Shine Bright On Thursdays’; see www.projectadorno.net/)
17. Levis (4:16) – Qntal (Taken from the album ‘Qntal V: Silver Swan’; see www.qntal.de/english/)
19. Cognoscenti (3:57) – Sanguine Hum (Taken from the album ‘The Weight Of The World’; see www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric-exd.asp?id=4053, troopersforsound.com/catalogue/the-weight-of-the-world/ & www.facebook.com/pages/Sanguine-Hum/148914338483750)
23. Mehmeda Majka Bubağe (3:11) – Jah Wobble (Taken from the album ‘Umbra Sumus’; see www.30hertzrecords.com/)
25. March (3:19) – Youngblood Brass Band (Taken from the album ‘Is That A Riot?’; see www.youngbloodbrassband.com & www.facebook.com/youngbloodbrassband; this track was provided by Mevio’s Music Alley – see www.musicalley.com/)
Many thanks as always to all the bands, musicians and listeners who make this podcast possible – one hundred shows isn’t a bad milestone and we thank everyone who has contributed to it. We very much hope you enjoyed this special celebratory episode and will come back for more. Please leave a comment if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!) or if you want to have your say on anything else connected to this podcast. If you want to keep up to date with news about this podcast, EppyFest, or just chat with other listeners, don’t forget that there’s a Facebook group – just search for the Eppy Gibbon Podcast Show on Facebook and request to join. The next show will feature an interview with Matt Baber and Joff Winks of Sanguine Hum so I hope you’ll come back for that.
This is the twenty-seventh edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the blog entry to accompany it. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN. It’s the second anniversary of the show and to celebrate I thought I’d run through an A-Z of Eppy Gibbon artists, so there will be 26 tracks, with each letter represented by an artist who very much typifies one (or more) of the musical styles I play on the show. Not surprisingly, there’s material this time from all over the world, including artists from the UK, Italy and the US, adding up to around two hours of fascinating and varied music. This month there’s no feature album but there’s the usual diverse selection of styles and genres, including prog rock, electronica, experimental, math rock, ambient, pronk rock, avant prog, folky stuff and general strangeness. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks from where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 2 hours and 21 minutes. Downloaded file is 129.2 MB.
17. machine*love (2:39) – Quphonic (Taken from the album ‘a: supermassive’; see www.myspace.com/quphonic & www.soundclick.com/quphonic; provided by the PodShow Podsafe Music Network – http://music.podshow.com)
19. Don’t Drink the Flavour Aid (4:09) – Sundae Club (Currently unavailable though may appear on a vinyl double-album version of their second album ‘British Summer Time’ ; see www.s-club.co.uk & www.myspace.com/sundaeclub)
23.Call of Cabrakan (3:18) – Ben Heckler aka When Days Align (Can be heard on his MySpace page; see www.myspace.com/bozart101)
25.On The Spot Tina Turner Fine (3:02) – You Slut! (Taken from the album ‘Critical Meat’ ; see www.myspace.com/youslut1)
26.7-beat Thing (5:28) – Zag and the Coloured Beads (Taken from the album ‘Sawtooth Gripmaster’, originally only available on cassette but now available on CD; see www.zatcb.co.uk/ or www.myspace.com/zagandthecolouredbeads)
Thanks as always to all the musicians who contributed to this show, and to you the listeners. The two years of doing this show have flown by and here’s to the next two (and counting!). Please do spread the word and send me comments if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!). For the next episode I won’t be here but the show will go on with a special guest presenter so do listen in for more quality music.