This is the 290th edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. You can CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD but note that the shows are large files. The show is also available to stream via Mixcloud and the Progzilla Radio Network (the show appears on Progzilla in alternate weeks). This is a sad but celebratory show, as we pay tribute to a number of composers and musicians that we have sadly lost recently. We have a feature artist, the late, great maestro himself, Ennio Morricone, and we’ll be playing several tracks either composed or inspired by him. We also recently lost the genius English singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer and music video director Tim Smith, best known as the frontman of the band Cardiacs. I will be doing a longer tribute to him on a future show, but I couldn’t let this show pass by without celebrating Tim’s great talents, so you’ll hear music from him and also composed by him, as well as music from many of his affectionate friends scattered throughout the show. And we have also recently lost the singer-songwriter, guitarist and Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green, and Jarno Sarkula, leader of the Finnish band Alamaailman Vasarat, so you’ll also hear tributes to them. And around all those tributes you can expect the usual eclectic musical mixture. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks from where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 2 hours and 19 minutes. Downloaded file is 127. MB.
3. Dark Already (2:45) – Christian Madden (Taken from the album ‘Understand the Rules (1-3)’; see christianmadden.bandcamp.com/album/understand-the-rules-1-3)
6. Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye) (4:12) – The Belmonts (Taken from the album ‘Cigars, Acappella, Candy’; see www.thebelmonts.net/default.asp)
11. Dank (5:23) – The Gasman (Taken from the album ‘Instrumental Computer Music’; see thegasman.bandcamp.com/album/instrumental-computer-music & www.facebook.com/gasmanmusic/)
12. The Bitter Lay (5:03) – Arch Garrison (Taken from the forthcoming album ‘The Bitter Lay’; see www.thegenepool.co.uk/items/the-bitter-lay/2171.htm, archgarrison1.bandcamp.com/album/the-bitter-lay & www.archgarrison.co.uk/)
13. The Green Manalishi (4:34) – Fleetwood Mac (Taken from the album ‘The Best of Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac’; see www.facebook.com/petergreenandfriends/)
14. 1970 (8:40) – Ennio Morricone (Taken from the album ‘Crime And Dissonance’; see enniomorricone.bandcamp.com/album/crime-and-dissonance, www.enniomorricone.org/ & www.facebook.com/maestroenniomorricone/)
17. Smoke & Mirrors (6:47) – The Original Magnetic Light Parade (Taken from the single ‘Smoke & Mirrors/Confusion Reigns’; see bearsuitrecords.bandcamp.com/album/smoke-mirrors-confusion-reigns & bearsuitrecords.webs.com/music.htm)
23. Playing Love (3:52) – Diego Tomassetti (Taken from the EP ‘A Picture of You’; see diegotomassetti.bandcamp.com/album/a-picture-of-you)
24. The Wooing Of Étaín (5:24) – Adiemus & Karl Jenkins (Taken from the album ‘Adiemus IV – The Eternal Knot’; see www.karljenkins.com/)
Thanks to all the musicians who contributed and to all listeners. Send us comments if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!). If you want to keep up to date with news about the show, EppyFest, or just chat with other listeners, don’t forget that there’s a Facebook group – just search for the Eppy Gibbon Podcast Show on Facebook and request to join, plus don’t forget that we’re now part of the Progzilla Radio Network. I should be back for the next show when I’ll hopefully be presenting an interview with singer-songwriter Marica Petrey from the art rock band Girl Swallows Nightingale, interspersed with the usual eclectic playlist, so I hope you’ll come back for that.