This is the 212th edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. You may be able to CLICK HERE TO LISTEN but note the shows are large files & this may not be the best way to listen. If you prefer, you can subscribe to the show via iTunes by sticking feeds2.feedburner.com/TheEpilepticGibbonPodcastMusicShow into the ‘Subscribe to podcast’ area & then you’ll get the new shows as they become available. The show is also available to stream via Mixcloud and the Progzilla Radio Network (the show appears on Progzilla in alternate weeks). Thanks to Daniel Staniforth and Rebsie Fairholm for kindly sitting in again on the last show, but this time around the Eppy Gibbon is back. We don’t quite have a feature album this time but I am drawing inspiration from the soundtrack to the brilliant film Baby Driver, and there will be several tracks either taken from or inspired by that soundtrack. Otherwise you can expect the usual diverse selection of styles and genres, covering six different decades. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks from where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 2 hours & 13 minutes. Downloaded file is 121.3 MB.
1. As We Take The Stage (pts. 1-2) (6:01) – The Scaramanga Six (Taken from a double-A-side digital single and also from the album ‘Chronica’; see www.thescaramangasix.co.uk/new/, thescaramangasix.bandcamp.com/album/as-we-take-the-stage-owned & www.facebook.com/thescaramangasix)
2. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (2:26) – The Beach Boys (Taken from the album ‘Pet Sounds’; see www.beachboysband.net/)
3. Unsquare Dance (2:07) – The Dave Brubeck Quartet (Taken from the album ‘Time Further Out’; see davebrubeck.com/)
7. Zye Ouve, Zye Feme (4:16) – Bokanté (Taken from the album ‘Strange Circles’; see www.musicworksinternational.com/special-projects-index/bokante & www.facebook.com/bokantemusic/)
10. Let’s Go Away For Awhile (2:21) – The Beach Boys (Taken from the album ‘Pet Sounds’; see www.beachboysband.net/)
13. Easy (4:21) – The Commodores (Taken from the compilation album ‘The Very Best of The Commodores’; see classic.motown.com/artist/the-commodores/)
As part of the semi-regular feature, ‘The 80s Weren’t All Rubbish You Know!’ …
21. Dog-Like Sparky (4:54) – Cardiacs (Taken from the album ‘Sing To God’; see www.cardiacs.net/)
22. Hocus Pocus (6:41) – Focus (Taken from the album ‘Focus II’; see www.focustheband.com/ & www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-the-band/197272485986)
23. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 (2:16) – R.E.M. (Taken from the album ‘Automatic For The People’; see remhq.com/index.php)
24. Dependence Day (4:45) – Ritual (Taken from the album ‘Ritual’; see www.ritual.se/Ritual_Official_Web/Home.html)
26. Bright Shimmering Lights (4:52) – Bryan and the Aardvarks (Taken from the album ‘Sounds From The Deep Field’; see bryanandtheaardvarks.com/, bryanandtheaardvarks.bandcamp.com/album/sounds-from-the-deep-field, & www.facebook.com/bryanandtheaardvarks/)
Thanks to all the musicians who contributed and to all listeners. Send us comments if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!). If you want to keep up to date with news about the show, EppyFest, or just chat with other listeners, don’t forget that there’s a Facebook group – just search for the Eppy Gibbon Podcast Show on Facebook and request to join, plus don’t forget that we’re now part of the Progzilla Radio Network. I should be back again next time with the second part of my review of some great music from 2016 that didn’t feature in my top 30 album countdown, so I hope you’ll be back to listen to that show.