This is the one-hundred-and-eighteenth edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN. You can also listen via Mixcloud here. This show is a guest slot introduced by Rebsie Fairholm and Daniel Staniforth of Alchymical Muse. This show is a special themed edition showcasing the power of the spoken word: whether it be poetry, chant, percussion, stories or just a few interjections. There are two mini-feature albums: ‘Promenade’ by The Divine Comedy, and ‘Cornology’ by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, plus lots more interesting and unusual music. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks to where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 1 hour and 40 minutes. Downloaded file is 91.8 MB.
1. Ars Poetica (2:07) – Daniel Staniforth & Rebsie Fairholm (Taken from the album ‘Ruins’; see lunatrick.bandcamp.com/album/ruins-poems-of-margaret-randall & www.flowforth.com)
2. Rain (2:25) – Trwbador (Taken from the album ‘Trwbador’; see www.trwbador.co.uk)
3. I Caught a Glimpse of your Eyes (2:19) – Current 93 (Taken from the album ‘Hypnagogue: A Dream Prologue’; see www.brainwashed.com/c93)
4. Tanith and the Lion Tree (3:24) – Edward Ka-Spel (Taken from the album ‘Tanith and the Lion Tree’; see www.brainwashed.com/eks)
5. The Ocean Doesn’t Want Me (1:51) – Tom Waits (Taken from the album ‘Bone Machine’; see www.tomwaits.com)
7. Don’t Look Down (4:48) – The Divine Comedy (Taken from the album ‘Promenade’; see www.thedivinecomedy.com)
8. Château D’Isaster Tapes (11:11) – Jethro Tull (Taken from the album ‘20 Years of Jethro Tull’; see www.jethrotull.com)
As part of the feature, ‘The 80s Weren’t All Rubbish You Know!’ …
9. Slender Fungus (3:35) – Tones on Tail (Taken from the album ‘Everything’; see www.last.fm/music/Tones+on+Tail)
10. Lonely London (7:31) – Jah Wobble (Taken from the album ‘The Inspiration of William Blake’; see www.30hertzrecords.com)
11. Liberation (4:30) – Martyn Bennett (Taken from the album ‘Grit’; see www.martynbennett.com)
12. Stories (2:47) – Tunng (Taken from the album ‘Comments of the Inner Chorus’; see www.tunng.co.uk)
13. Manafon (5:23) – David Sylvian (Taken from the album ‘Manafon’; see www.davidsylvian.com)
14. Unborn Stillborn (3:41) – Marc Almond (Taken from the album ‘Violent Silence’; see www.marcalmond.co.uk)
15. Sonnet 18 (6:05) – Bryan Ferry (Taken from the album ‘Slave to Love’; see www.bryanferry.com)
16. There Ain’t Half Been Some Clever Bastards (3:02) – Ian Dury and the Blockheads (Taken from the B-side of ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’ and available as a bonus track on the album ‘Do It Yourself’; see www.iandury.co.uk & www.theblockheads.com/)
17. The Booklovers (5:52) – The Divine Comedy (Taken from the album ‘Promenade’; see www.thedivinecomedy.com)
18. The Bride Stripped Bare by ‘Bachelors’ (2:39) – Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (Taken from the album ‘Cornology’; see www.facebook.com)
19. Guth Na Torainn (Voice of Thunder) (6:52) – The Moors (Taken from the album ‘The Moors’; see mobiusbandwidth.com/themoors.html)
20. Newcastle Lullaby (6:23) – Rachel Unthank & the Winterset (Taken from the album ‘The Bairns’; see www.the-unthanks.com)
Many thanks to Epileptic Gibbon for entrusting us with another guest slot. Please leave a comment if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!) or if you want to have your say on anything else connected to this podcast. If you want to keep up to date with news about this podcast, EppyFest, or just chat with other listeners, don’t forget that there’s a Facebook group – just search for the Eppy Gibbon Podcast Show on Facebook and request to join. Eppy will be back for the next episode.