This is the 91st edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN. This show is a festive edition, featuring music that has some connection to Christmas, the Winter Solstice, Yuletide, or just the cold wintry season in general. To reflect this the feature album is ‘The Christmas Album’ by Keith Emerson, plus there will be the usual diverse selection of styles and genres, including prog rock, electronica, chamber pop, jazz, steampunk and all sorts of other weird & wonderful music. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks from where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 2 hours and 6 minutes. Downloaded file is 115.7 MB.
1. Jingle Bells (One Horse Open Sleigh) (1:15) – 8 Bit Weapon & ComputeHer (Taken from the album, ‘It’s a Chiptune Holiday!’; see 8bitweapon.bandcamp.com/album/its-a-chiptune-holiday, 8bitweapon.bandcamp.com/ & www.8bitweapon.com/)
2. Northern Lights (3:33) – Renaissance (Taken from the album ‘A Song For All Seasons’; see renaissancetouring.com/)
3. Troika (4:18) – Keith Emerson (Taken from ‘The Christmas Album’; see www.keithemerson.com/)
5. We Three Kings (3:19) – The Willows (This track can be downloaded for free from www.thewillowsband.co.uk/news plus it’s been included on the 15 track ‘For Folk’s Sake Charity’ CD, which you can download for £7 or buy the CD for £9 via forfolkssake.bandcamp.com/releases – all proceeds will go to the Evelina children’s hospital; see also www.thewillowsband.co.uk/ & itunes.apple.com/gb/album/the-willows/id405298481)
7. In The Bleak Midwinter (4:35) – Also Eden (This track is available to download for free via www.alsoeden.com/download_christmas.php – you just need to enter your name & email address; see also www.alsoeden.com/index_main.php & en-gb.facebook.com/alsoeden)
8. Christmas Turkey (3:07) – David Minnick (This track is available to download for free via soundcloud.com/david-minnick)
9. Merry Christmas (I Still Love You) (2:35) – a.P.A.t.T. (This track is available to buy for just £1 from apatt.bandcamp.com/track/merry-christmas-i-still-love-you; see also www.apatt.com/, apatt.bandcamp.com/ & soundcloud.com/apatt)
10. I Saw Three Ships (4:56) – Keith Emerson (Taken from ‘The Christmas Album’; see www.keithemerson.com/)
12. Blizzard Of Lies (6:10) – +1 (Taken from the double-EP ‘Soul Revolution/Teenage Battle Hymns’; see www.precognitiverecords.com/)
13. Reindeer (5:41) – John Butler, Andrea Petitta & Wim Oudijk (Taken from the EP ‘Windows & Doors: The Songs of Tin Pan John’; see discofair.nl/discofair/New_Releases.html & www.facebook.com/pages/Windows-Doors/132710440211020)
14. Solstice Round (3:38) – B.Sue Johnson (Limited release; see www.precognitiverecords.com/)
16. The Coventry Carol (5:37) – Hobson’s Choice (Taken from the compilation ‘BARNYARD DRAMA Christmas Singalong Vol. 8’; see www.hobsonschoicemusic.com/index.html & www.barnyardrecords.com/cd%20barnyard%20drama%20xmas.html)
19. Lullay Lulla (2:37) – Rebsie Fairholm (Not currently commercially available but will be on the forthcoming ‘Albion Mill’ EP; see www.rebsiefairholm.co.uk/, www.cdbaby.com/Artist/RebsieFairholm, & www.alchymicalmuse.com/)
20. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear (6:50) – Keith Emerson (Taken from ‘The Christmas Album’; see www.keithemerson.com/)
21. The Christmas Goose (3:24) – Sunday Driver (This track is available to buy now from Bandcamp and you can pay whatever you wish, but please be generous – see sundaydriver.bandcamp.com/releases and also www.sundaydriver.co.uk/ & sundaydriver.bandcamp.com/)
22. Winter Walks the Wood (3:49) – Mark Elliott (This track is available to download for free via soundcloud.com/emp-studio/emp-studio-mark-elliott-winter?in=emp-studio%2Fsets%2Felectric-music-productions#play; see details of Mark’s main musical project, Those Men here – thosemen.co.uk/)
24. It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (4:03) – R.E.M. (Taken from the album ‘Document’; see remhq.com/index.php)
25. A Christmas Credit Card (Christmas in My Dreams) (2:21) – Asparagus Apocalypse & David Kaminsky (Free download available from www.macjams.com/artist/Epileptic+Gibbon; see also www.macjams.com/artist/dwwave)
A merry Christmas and compliments of the season to all the musicians who contributed and to all listeners too. Send me comments if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!). Hopefully I’ll be back in January with a prelude to some special editions of the show focusing on the Best of 2012 and a preview of EppyFest 2. If you’ve got your own favourites from 2012 feel free to add a comment here or on the Facebook group for the podcast.