This is the 80th edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN. This show represents part 2 of my ‘best of 2011’ shows, focusing on some great tracks, albums, singles, EPs & festivals from last year. There is no feature album this time, but there is a feature festival as I play tracks by bands who appeared at last year’s Sweet Beans festival. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks to where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 2 hours and 14 minutes. Downloaded file is 122.5 MB.
1. Slyrex (7:22) – Fjokra (This track is available for download on iTunes as part of the Emerging Icons unsigned compilation – see itunes.apple.com/gb/album/emerging-icons/id519654135; see also www.facebook.com/fjokraofficial & www.reverbnation.com/fjokra)
3. The University Is A Factory (7:28) – Rumour Cubes (Taken from the EP ‘We Have Sound Houses Also’ & the new album ‘The Narrow State’; see rumourcubes.bandcamp.com/, soundcloud.com/rumourcubes & www.facebook.com/rumourcubes)
4. Concubine Waltz (3:29) – Sunday Driver (Taken from the album ‘The Mutiny’ or you can buy a new special bonus edition version of the single via sundaydriver.bandcamp.com/album/concubine-waltz-special-mutiny-bonus-edition; see also www.sundaydriver.co.uk/ & www.facebook.com/sundaydrivermusic)
6. Ars Poetica (2:09) – Daniel Staniforth & Rebsie Fairholm (Taken from the album, ‘Ruins: Poems By Margaret Randall’; see www.angelfire.com/az/garethknight/skylight/audio.html & lunatrick.bandcamp.com/album/ruins-poems-of-margaret-randall)
7. The Flying Dutchman (6:56) – Band of Rain (Taken from the album ‘Sun In VIII’; see www.bandofrain.com/?section=home & www.facebook.com/pages/Band-of-Rain/102999469735644)
10. Singsongy (5:18) – Retic (Taken from the album ‘Chameleon Template’; see pleasureboatrecords.bandcamp.com/album/chameleon-template, retic.bandcamp.com/, www.facebook.com/reticface & soundcloud.com/retic/tracks)
11. 10×10 (4:19) – The Fierce & The Dead (Taken from the album ‘If It Carries On Like This We Are Moving To Morecambe’; see www.fierceandthedead.com/, thefierceandthedead.bandcamp.com/ & www.facebook.com/fierceandthedead)
12. Happy Where You Are (4:14) – +1 (Taken from the double EP ‘Soul Revolution/Teenage Battle Hymns’; see www.precognitiverecords.com/)
13. Woman With Child (5:39) – Jeff Green (Taken from the album ‘Jessica’; see web.mac.com/jeffrgreen/Jeff_Green/Jessica.html, soundcloud.com/jeff-green/sets/jessica, & www.facebook.com/pages/Jeff-Green-Official/181935641858756)
14. Ambiance for the Active Mind (6:37) – TCP (Taken from the album, ‘Fantastic Dreamer’; see 10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/tcp/, www.temporalchaos.com/ & 10trecords.com/store/tcp-fantastic-dreamer/)
15. Familiarization Results (7:45) – From.Uz (Taken from the album ‘Quartus Artifactus’; see 10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/fromuz/, www.fromuzband.com/ & www.facebook.com/FromuzBand?ref=ts)
16. Mind Over Matter (2:28) – Mars Hollow (Taken from the album ‘World In Front Of Me’; see 10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/mars-hollow/, www.marshollow.com/ & www.facebook.com/MarsHollow)
17. Weapon (6:52) – Mars Hollow (Taken from the album ‘World In Front Of Me’; see 10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/mars-hollow/, www.marshollow.com/ & www.facebook.com/MarsHollow)
Mars Hollow were going to be playing at the Celebr8 Prog Rock Festival (www.celebr8prog.com/Welcome.html). Although the band have pulled out the festival is still going ahead at The Hippodrome in Kingston Upon Thames over the weekend of 7th/8th July, 2012. Ex-band member Kerry Chicoine will be doing a set at the festival, along with bands such as IQ, It Bites, Pallas and Magenta.
18. In A Sense (5:24) – Man On Fire (Taken from the album ‘Chrysalis’; see 10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/man-on-fire/, www.manonfireband.com/ & www.facebook.com/manonfireband)
Thanks to all the musicians for producing such brilliant music and thanks to all you listeners too, and for everyone who played at, attended or in any way contributed to EppyFest. Please leave a comment if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!) or if you want to have your say on the festival, or anything else connected to this podcast. I will be back soon with some more shows, including the third and fourth of my ‘best of 2011’ shows.