This is the 72nd edition of the Epileptic Gibbon podcast music show and the playlist to accompany it. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN. This show is a festive edition, featuring music that has some connection to Christmas, the Winter Solstice, Yuletide, or just the cold wintry season in general. To reflect this the feature album is ‘Mistletoe and Wine’ by The Mediaeval Baebes, plus there will be the usual diverse selection of styles and genres, including prog rock, electronica, psych folk, chamber pop, jazz, steampunk and all sorts of other weird & wonderful music. Below you’ll find the track list, plus weblinks from where you can find more information about each artist.
Total running time: 1 hour and 24 minutes. Downloaded file is 76.6 MB.
1. Gentle King (3:51) – Ten point Ten (Taken from the album, ’12 25′; see www.mindawn.com/artists/TenPointTen for one site where you can buy the album as an electronic download)
2. midwinter (4:43) – museum (Taken from their forthcoming debut album; see www.binarymuseum.net/)
3. Winter Is King (5:25) – Mostly Autumn (Taken from the EP ‘Spirits Of Christmas Past’; see www.mostly-autumn.com/2/, & www.facebook.com/pages/Mostly-Autumn/153492314670721)
6. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Comfort And Oi!) (0:37) – The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing (Taken from the ‘A Very Steampunk Christmas EP’; see www.facebook.com/blamedfornothing, www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Steampunk-Christmas-EP-Explicit/dp/B004A7W73C/ref=dm_ap_alb1 & www.last.fm/music/The+Men+That+Will+Not+Be+Blamed+For+Nothing)
8. Variations on ‘O Little Town of Bethlehem’ (6:11) – Keith Emerson (Taken from ‘The Christmas Album’; see www.keithemerson.com/)
13. Ebenezer’s Carol (3:00) – The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing (Taken from the ‘A Very Steampunk Christmas EP’; see www.facebook.com/blamedfornothing, www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Steampunk-Christmas-EP-Explicit/dp/B004A7W73C/ref=dm_ap_alb1 & www.last.fm/music/The+Men+That+Will+Not+Be+Blamed+For+Nothing)
18. Silent Night (3:15) – Can (This track was (but is no longer) available as a free download; for more information about Can see the official Can/Spoon Records website at www.spoonrecords.com/#)
19. A Christmas Credit Card (Christmas in My Dreams) (2:21) – Asparagus Apocalypse & David Kaminsky (Free download available from www.macjams.com/artist/Epileptic+Gibbon; see also www.macjams.com/artist/dwwave)
A merry Christmas and compliments of the season to all the musicians who contributed and to all listeners. Send me comments if you like what you hear (or even if you don’t… feedback is so important!). Hopefully I’ll be back in January with a prelude to some special editions of the show focusing on the Best of 2011. If you’ve got your own favourites from 2011 feel free to add a comment here or on the Facebook group for the podcast.
I also recently made an appearance on and chose the music for Steve Davis’ excellent Interesting Alternative radio show. Thanks to Steve for inviting me on. If you’d like to hear the show then you can do so by going to www.phoenixfm.com/2011/12/21/downloads-for-the-2011-best-of-and-ian-fairholm-special/
BTW, thanks to regular listener Tony Owen there is now an App for the Eppy Gibbon podcast show: to find it just type ‘Epileptic Gibbon App’ into Google… & don’t forget you can contribute to and comment on shows via the Eppy Gibbon Facebook group.